We've done this, and it's not that complex.  (Sorry, client won't allow me
to release the code.)
It's AJAX on the front end, so that background call is simply executing a
search against an index that consists of the aggregated search terms.  We do
wildcard queries to get the results we want.  For us, the search term
represents the whole document.

Pretty straightforward.

-- j