The usage you describe sounds perfectly suited for Solr ... without even
needing heavy customizations or custom plugins...

: Hi Erik, many thanks for your response - a typical search application
: that will consume the web service will typically want to display 25
: results per page.  Most users will only be interested in the first few
: pages, but there are certain searches with users that will want to
: examine many pages of results.

Solr's standard request handler has options for specifying that you want
results 1-25, or 26-50, etc...

: I was hoping to avoid maintaining hits on the session so pagination will
: requery the index.  The options are to either to render a load of
: documents as xml and then let the client cache the results itself, or
: simply to return 25 results for each subsequent page.

Solr has internal caching with "smart warming" ... not only will the
results of a search still be there if your user comes back and asks for
page#2, even if you update the index and delete some documents and add
some new documents Solr will rerun your recent searches in the background
to "warm" the new cache.

: I guess it also depends on the amount of text being returned in fields -
: we have probably a core set of around 10 fields returned for every query
: and then a larger set of fields that are used for very particular
: searches.

Solr's standard request handler lets you specify which stored fields you
want by name at query time.

http://incubator.apache.org/solr/
http://incubator.apache.org/solr/tutorial.html

-Hoss