: > : I want to use INT sorting instead, but these strings can not be parsed
: > : back into integers by Java's built in parsing functions, which is
: >
: > 1) Take a look at FieldCache.IntParser and
: > FieldCache.getInts(IndexReader,String,IntParser) .. you can use it in your
: > own custom SortComparatorSource and use it when building your Sort Field.

: You hit the nail on the head though: I am using a MultiSearcher.  100+
: indexes, each with millions of documents.  The memory usage when
: storing the strings is very, very high.
:
: I'll do a little more research about the memory usage and expanding to
: more boxes and repost to the list.

Don't overlook my first point about using FieldCache with your
own IntParser -- that should be just as fast as adding another version
of the field that doesn't use NumberTools with the added bonus of not
requiring another field.

-Hoss