On 6/9/06, Chris Hostetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

: I have an integer field that I've indexed after converting to a string
: using NumberTools.longToString().
: Now I want to sort my results using this field.  Everything works when
: treating the field as a string, but is very slow and memory intensive.
:
: I want to use INT sorting instead, but these strings can not be parsed
: back into integers by Java's built in parsing functions, which is

1) Take a look at FieldCache.IntParser and
FieldCache.getInts(IndexReader,String,IntParser) .. you can use it in your
own custom SortComparatorSource and use it when building your Sort Field.

2) unless you are using a MultiSearcher, sorting by a string shouldn't
take any more tiem then sorting on an int -- String sorting only looks at

Thanks for the reply Hoss, as always.

You hit the nail on the head though: I am using a MultiSearcher.  100+
indexes, each with millions of documents.  The memory usage when
storing the strings is very, very high.

I'll do a little more research about the memory usage and expanding to
more boxes and repost to the list.

--Ben