One fast way to make an alphabetic sort very fast is to presort your docs
before adding them to the index.  If you do this you can then just sort by
index order.  We are using this for a large index (1 million+ docs) and it
works very good, and seems even slightly faster than relevance sorting.

Using this approach may create some maintainance issues since you can't add a
new doc to the index at a specified position.  Instead you will need to
re-index everything.