Hi.

I have been reading the lists for couple of week now, and I noticed people
asking about placing their indexes into a RDBMS. What is the advantage of
that?

So far lucene was able to solve all my problems, but I am curious how else
people are using it (especially with RDBMS).

Having an index in the DB makes it possible to join full-text queries against this index with some other structured queries against other table.

Here's a practical example. We have a data management system for managing geographic metadata. Documents that we manage (geometadata) have spatial extents (bounding boxes), temporal extents (time periods) and a lot of textual information.

Currently, complex queries like "contains 'water*', from 1998 till 2001, in area (5, 45, 15, 55)" can't be processed in the relational DB only or in Lucene index only. We have to make a relatively expensive union/join outside the Lucene and the RDB. Having Lucene index within the DB and Lucene query (re)formulatable in SQL would allow us performing the join inside the DB which is much more performant.

Bye.
/lexi