I have a few questions regarding writing a custom analyzer.

My situation is that I would like to use the StandardAnalyzer but with some data-specific rules. I was wondering if there was a way of telling the StandardAnalyzer to treat a string of text, that would normally be tokenized into more than one token, as only one token (maybe by inserting quotes around the text). For example, say the StandardAnalyzer normally splits the string of text [EMAIL PROTECTED] into 4 tokens, but I want it to split the string into only 1 token. Could I accomplish this by surrounding the string with quotes or by using some other type of flag?

Another question I have is how do I modify the text being analyzed? From how I interpreted what I have read (which could easily be off), it looks like in order to accomplish what I have previously described, I am going to have to add some code to my custom analyzer's tokenStream method. I see that tokenStream() has a Field and a Reader as parameters. Would the way I go about adding rules be to edit the reader text? If so, would manipulation of the text be easier if I were to convert the reader into a string?

Any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

-Ryan