On 11/27/06, Michael McCandless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Suman Ghosh wrote:

> On 11/27/06, Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> On 11/27/06, Suman Ghosh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> > Here are the values:
>> >
>> > mergeFactor=10
>> > maxMergeDocs=100000
>> > minMergeDocs=100
>> >
>> > And I see your point. At the time of the crash, I have over 5000
>> > segments. I'll try some conservative number and try to rebuild the
>>
>> Although I don't see how those settings can produce 5000 segments,
>> I've developed a non-recursive patch you might want to try:
>> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-729

Suman, I'd really like to understand how you're getting so many
segments in your index.  Is this (getting 5000 segments) easy to
reproduce?  Are you closing / reopening your writer every so often (eg
to delete documents or something)?

Actually, in previous versions of Lucene, it *was* possible to get way
too many first level segments because of the wonky logic when the
IndexWriter was closed.  That has been fixed in the trunk with the new
merge policy, and you will never see more than mergeFactor first level
segments.

-Yonik