OK, I caused more confusion than rendered help by my stemming
statement. The only reason I mentioned it was to illustrate that
performance is not linearly related to size.

It took some effort to put stemming into the index, see
PorterStemmer etc. This is NOT the default. So I took it out
to see what the effect would be.

Why not stemming made things shorter: because we also
have the requirement that phrases (i.e. words in double quotes)
do NOT match the stemmed version. Thus if we index
running watching, the following searches have the
indicated results
run - hits
watch - hits
running - hits
"run watch" does NOT hit.
"running watching" hits

So I indexed the following terms...

run
running$
watch
watching&

with the two forms of run indexed in the same position (0)
and the two forms of watch in the same position (1).

I agree that if we didn't have the exact-phrase-match requirement
the stemmed version of the index should be smaller....

Sorry for the confusion
Erick