Since there are so many ASF projects, launching new infrastructure
initiatives can be difficult. Infrastructure wants everything to
scale, so that everyone can use it. We also want to be sure that there
are volunteers with the interest and ability to keep the product up
and running.

To get products like JIRA and Confluence, projects had to "vote with
their feet" and host the resources elsewhere first. Once there was a
working proof of utility and interest, someone with enough karma was
able to setup the project on an ASF machine.

It would be great to have some Jive forums setup, like the one Open
Symphony has for Struts.

* http://forums.opensymphony.com/forum.jspa?forumID=34

But, we'd probably have more luck getting Contegix to set it up for
other ASF projects than our own infrastructure team. (Which is part of
the problem, infrastructure a fuzzy "team" and not an actual ASF
project.)

Jive does have an open source licensing plan.

* http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/forums/resources/opensource.jsp

It's just a matter of finding a place to set it up until we can
convince infrastructure that it's a Good Thing.

HTH, Ted.
<http://www.husted.com/ted/blog/>