On 12 Apr 2007 at 16:49, karl wettin wrote:

> 12 apr 2007 kl. 12.19 skrev Steffen Heinrich:
>

> > The intended system however can not be trained by user input. The
> > suggestions have to come from a given corpus (e.g. an ocasionally
> > updated product database).
> > Do you think adopting your package to set up the tries from a corpus
> > would be fairly easy?
>
> You can train it with any data you want. So you would need to figure
> out what people probably will be searching for. The first thing I can
> think of is to extract the most frequenct n grams at a word level in
> your title field, or so. It is tough to say what might actually work.
> Frequent phrases in the corpus might have nothing to do with consumer
> popularity.
>
> If I understand everyhing, your application is installed locally on
> consumer machines. Perhaps you could allow end users to share
> anonymous data based on taste and build a set per end user.
> Collaborative filtering comes to mind. Reducing a data set to
> something relevant usually equals behavioural analysis.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> --
> karl

Wow, this way of data mining is way over my top! I wouldn't know
where to begin.

This search is only meant to be used in an ajax-driven web
application.
And the basic idea is to give the user incentive and turn him to
something new, something he didn't think of before.
I just generalized on the concept in a mail to Erick under the same
subject. There is also a link to a working implementation that served
as my model.

In the wikipedia article on tries I found the following sentence
drawing my attention:
"Tries are also well suited for implementing approximate matching
algorithms, including those used in spell checking software."

Do you have any information about how this can be done?

Cheers,
Steffen