I have done some benchmarks. Keeping things in an array makes the entire
search, including postprocessing from first to last id for a big result set,
extremely fast. So I would really like to implement this approach. But I'm
concerned about what Yonik remarked. I could use a large mergeFactor but
anyway, just to be sure, is there a way to make the index inform my
application of merging events?

Cheers,
Carlos

On 5/24/07, Yonik Seeley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 5/24/07, Carlos Pita <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Yes Erick, that's fine. But the fact is that I'm not sure whether the
next
> added document will have an id equal to maxDocs.

Yes.  The highest docId will always be the last document added, and
docIds are never re-arranged with respect to each other.

So if you do an addDocument(), it will have an id of maxDoc()-1
*But* beware of renumbering caused by squeezing out of deleted docs on
segment merges, as I mentioned in the last message.

-Yonik