- Is it feasible to do
it on a single machine with 1 GB of Physical Memory and 1.3GHz processor. Can lucene handle it
efficiently.
Yes, I've indexed all of English Wikipedia using 1GB RAM (with a 3Ghz processor)

- Secondly, I wanted to know that when doing search does lucene load the
whole index in memory
No.

- Thirdly, I want to pass documents as queries to wikipedia corpus, can
lucene handle such large
queries equivanlent to documents sizes,
Yes, see "MoreLikeThis" in the contrib section

- Fourthly, would it be efficient to keep subsets of index on different
machines and then distribute the query to all of them.
Yes but I'd avoid complicating the architecture until you've established that you have a performance issue.

Cheers,
Mark