Hello:

[This is not an intentional cross-posting. I posted this same question to
the 'general' lucene list; replies there suggested that I'd have
better/quicker responses using this list instead.]

I'm investigating Lucene as a replacement for a special-purpose search
technology that was developed long before Lucene (or any of the current IR
libraries) became available.

The use case involves so-called print streams. Imagine 20,000 statements
concatenated into one large file suitable for delivery to a print system.
The document formats vary, but include AFP (an IBM printer format), PCL (an
HP format), Postscript, PDF, and even "plain-text".

The indexing application must track the total page count of the embedded
statements. On a hit, the search application must extract and return the
[possibly multi-page] statement embedded within the larger print-stream
file.

How would the search application know (be informed by the Lucene/indexer)
the extent of the internal document(s)?

I'm not seeing this scenario discussed in forums or books. Does anyone have
comments or thoughts on Lucene's applicability as a solution?

Thanks.

Brad