28 jun 2007 kl. 15.37 skrev Emmanuel Bernard:
I don't really like the idea actually: I'm much comfortable with having my data in a relational DB :)

If you don't mind, please develop that a bit further.

I think Lucene is suited pretty well for object storage if you also need it as an index. It is especially great for them heavy polymorphic or inheritive models. One simple term query can span multiple classes. Many ORMs require SQL joins or what unless you choose to store the data in some semi-retarded way.

There are of course some setbacks. I can not update a single field of an instance, I have to update the whole thing. So one have to be careful with bi-directional associations beween classes and such.

My hypotheisis in general goes something like "the less, the simpler, the faster, the better it is". That is probably why I sort of got sidetracked by the codemonkey on my shoulder while fooling around with @annotation for the first time and ended up with an object storage somewhere between the Sleepycat transactional API and the Hibernate lazy patterns, but using Lucene as persistency. I still don't know how well it works with lots of data.