has any one used Lucene-794? how stable it it. is it widely used in industry.

I have used it extensively and I would say it is extremely stable. As I said, much of the code from it is literally the same compiled code from Contrib Highlighter (It is really just a new Scorer class for the Contrib Highlighter).

It is also the newest of the Highlighter issues in JIRA and I would say it is not even close to widely used in the industry.