Oh, yeah, I know now :-). But I really do have a requirement to show search results from items that came in 5 seconds ago. We have an application where a common usage pattern is

add an item
navigate to another item
search for the first item (to associate it with the second item)

and the gap between step 1 and step 3 is not very long.

Right now, I get a notification within a few hundred msec that the item has been added. I just don't see why it is hard (in theory anyway, lucene's implementation notwithstanding) to put that on the end of the index I'm currently searching. I have lots of CPU available.

Can you tell me the JIRA issue? What kind of patch would lucene devs be likely to accept (do I need to get it 100% done, or is 80% of the way interesting?)

Tim

Mark Miller wrote:
And by the way, I cannot see it ever making sense to keep reopening an index
reader every second or so. It has to be MUCH more efficient to even wait
every 2 or 4 seconds...even that is going to be pretty nasty, but you have
to allow for a bit of batch man. You will waste so much time opening those
readers that its not going to be real-time anyway. You are just going to be
in a world of slow.