Thanks Daniel, you are completely right.
I changed the code - but it doesn't make it [noticeably faster] - probably
behind the scene it does run on the enum.
I added some kind of hash table that keeps the docfreq already read so if I
meet it again in another document I can retrieve it quickly - is there
another solution? Maybe have a separate Lucene index for this? (In this case
- can I read and write to the same index without closing it and reopening
it? I want to read from it and if I don't find the docfreq there, calculate
it and put it in the index).

10x Nir.

On Monday 06 August 2007 01:40, tierecke wrote:

>         Term term=new Term("contents", termstr);
>         TermEnum termenum=multireader.terms(term);
>         int freq=termenum.docFreq();

IndexReader has a docFreq() method, no need to get a Term enumeration.

regards
 Daniel