Nir,

You can speed this up (maybe a lot) by moving the disk head(s)
as little as possible.

Have a look at the file formats of Lucene to get the idea.

In your outer loop iterate over the readers of the multireader.
For each reader iterate over the terms in sorted order.
And don't access the index in any other way while doing this,
that is, do no query searches and no updates.

A bit of bookkeeping per term it will make it straightforward
to compute the total document frequencies.

Regards,
Paul Elschot