Not sure if I am understanding what you are trying to do. I think you are trying to find out which terms occurred in a particular document, correct?

I also am not sure about your first example. My understanding of extractTerms is that it just gives you back the set of all terms that occur in the _query_, not necessarily those that matched in the document, although it has this effect for things like WildcardQuery and others that get expanded using TermEnum since they are expanded based on what is in the index. I think this is best seen by the implementation of extractTerms() in TermQuery.java in which it just adds the term from the query into the set. Likewise for BooleanQuery which loops over the clauses and extracts the terms from each clause and adds them to the set. Thus, if you had a boolean query of all term queries, you would get back the set of all the terms.

As for the problem it sounds like you are interested in, you could use SpanQuery functionality with some post processing analysis or try using Term Vectors and the new (unreleased) TermVectorMapper (TVM) functionality (or possibly a combination of both). In this case, you will need to write your own implementation of the TVM that takes in the query so it knows what terms to identify. If you go the latter route, know that it is new functionality and probably doesn't have a whole lot of users yet, so there may still be issues with it. See the nightly build or nightly javadocs for info on these.

The other question that might be helpful, is what custom highlighting are you doing that isn't covered by the contrib/highlighter? Perhaps you have some suggestions that are generic enough to help improve it? Just a thought.

Hope this helps,
Grant