I tried with your suggestion but still it did not delete old index files.
Anyway I closed reader before closing writer and reopened reader after closing
writer which deleted all old index files.

  reader.close();
  writer.close();
  reader.open();

  - RB

Michael McCandless <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Cool Coder" wrote:
> Yes. Because I cannot close IndexReader in the live system. And also I
> am running on Windows server.
> At the end of index writing, I close writer and also reopen reader

OK, I'm glad we have it explained!

> writer.close()
> reader.close();
> reader = IndexReader.open(luceneDirectory);
> searcher = new IndexSearcher(reader);
>
> Still I can see old files. Is there still a way to delete old index
> files.

Just insert this:

new IndexWriter(luceneDirectory, analyzer).close();

after you've reopened your reader above. That should prune all deletable files
from the index.

Mike