"Cool Coder" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I tried with your suggestion but still it did not delete old index files.

That's very odd.  Are you sure you added that line after your first reader
was closed & second one was opened?  It's that first reader that prevents
deleting of the old index files.

> Anyway I closed reader before closing writer and reopened reader after
> closing writer which deleted all old index files.
>
>   reader.close();
>   writer.close();
>   reader.open();

This should work as well, but there is a risk that you have a somewhat
longish time during which you have no reader to service queries.  EG if
writer.close() kicks off a series of merges it could take quite a while.

Though if the index is small in your case this may be a non-issue in
practice...

Mike