Hi there,

I am using currently a FSDirectory to build my index. The reason for using a file system based index is that a full index rebuild takes around 30 minutes and I want to keep a persistent index. In 'Lucene in Action' I've read that one can improve search performance by using a RAMDirectory created from an underlying FSDirectory using one of the parameterised constructors. Is this correct? Will a FSDirectory not automatically load the index into memory provided enough RAM is available? Do I have to explicitly use a RAMDirectory?

--Hardy