There is a constructor in the RAMDirectory that already does that.
http://lucene.apache.org/java/2_2_0/api/org/apache/lucene/store/RAMDirectory.html

I don't think that worth modify the internal Lucene's code to achieve
a extra bit of performance...
What would you do on next version? Modify it again?