Have you actually tried this and done a query.toString() to see
how this is actually expanded? Not that I'm all that familiar
with SpellChecker, but before presuming how things work
you would get answers faster if you ran a test.....

And, why do you care about performance? I know that's
a silly question, but you haven't supplied any parameters
about your index and usage to give us a clue whether this
matters. If your index is 3M, you'll never see the difference
between the two ways of expanding the query. If your
index is distributed over 10 machines and is 1T, you really,
really, really care.

And under any circumstances, you can always generate
your own query of the second form by a bit of pre-processing.

More info please.....

Best
Erick