Isn't MultiPhraseQuery what is desired here?  you can add Term[]s per
position and at least one term in each array must much.

: > I was thinking of parsing the phrase query string into a
: > sequence of terms,
: > then constructing a phrase query object using add(Term term,
: > int position)
: > method in org.apache.lucene.search.PhraseQuery class. Then I can inject
: > similar words (suggested by SpellChecker) at appropriate
: > positions for each
: > term as I construct the final phrase query object.
: >
: > Do you agree that this should work too?
:
: I never tried this but I'm sure it will not work.
:
: The phrase query scorer requires all the terms to
: appear - either at the 'right' place or with slop
: for sloppy phrases. Therefore if you inject two
: terms in the same position the scorer will require
: to find both of them in the same position in order to
: match a document. This would be an AND logic, while
: what you need is an OR logic.

-Hoss