Have a look at the FunctionQuery capabilities in Lucene, whereby you can use the value of a Field as a scoring factor. So, your FunctionQuery would just do a simple calculation between the current time and whatever date is in the document.

-Grant
On Dec 20, 2007, at 8:03 AM, prabin meitei wrote:

Hi,
 Looking into older threads and some googling i came across some codes
where boosting is done at the time of indexing using time gap from 'epoch' or a *base time*. With this approach what I am afraid of is that over a period of time the boosting factor may go up and I may loose the relevence
factor of other fields.
   Any thoughts on this?

Prabin

On Dec 20, 2007 3:11 PM, Brian Grimal <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I would love to revisit this one. I implemented pseudo date boosting in an overly simplistic manner in my app, which I know can be improved upon.
Might it be useful to reopen a thread on the topic?

Brian

-----Original Message-----
From: prabin meitei <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 11:23 PM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Giving boost to a more recent item whiule searching

Hi Erick,
Thanks for your response. I have tried searching the archive. I could
not
find andy relevant thread. that's why i posted the question here. May be I am not using the right keywords. If you know any archive link which deals
with this problem please send me.
I have seen the case study about theServerSide in the book "Lucene in
Action". But there also they haven't given how date boosting can be
implemented.

Prabin

Grant Ingersoll
http://lucene.grantingersoll.com