Hi all,

I am using Hibernate Search (http://www.hibernate.org/410.html) which is a
wrapper around Lucene for performing search over info stored in the DB. I have
questions related to Lucene boosting Vs sorting:

Is index time boosting of documents and fields better than specifying sorting
parameters at search time?

I have been browsing through the Lucene mail archives for an answer to this.
Going through them and reading on stuff related to Lucene scoring, my
understanding is that if I know upfront at index time that the relevance order
of results is based on certain fields, then, it is better to have index time
boosting of documents and fields. Am I right here?

My requirements are like:
Results having an exact match to the input query string should have highest
preference followed by an exact match with field1, field2, field3 and then
followed by search query substring (or near match) match with field1, field2,
field3.

Any suggestions are most welcome.

--Rakesh S