See below...

On Dec 21, 2007 12:50 PM, Rakesh Shete <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> >> I don't see how sorting relates to your problem at all....
>
> Could you just explain how is sorting different from boosting?
>
> I have been trying to figure this out. Going through "Lucene In Action" my
> understanding of  sorting is that it will kind of second level of ordering
> after the query results have been scored (Not sure if the relevance
> established
> by scoring is lost in this process).

I often think of sorting as being orthogonal to boosting. They're really
unrelated.
Boosting changes how the scoring of documents work. Sorting ignores scoring
and arranges the results lexically. You can *only* sort on fields that are a
single
token. I'm cheating a little here and you can implement your own
sorts, but that's another story.

Maybe this would help. Say you were indexing books and wanted the results
presented to the user by title. You could index a "titlesort" field that had
the
title lowercased and all spaces replaced with underscores. Then, you could
sort the result of all books containing "solar energy" by title. Where's the
score
here? The only relevance score has here is that no book in the result set
will
have a score of 0.

I did, at one point, have to sort by score then sub-sort by title. That is,
present the user with the top scoring documents sub-sorted by title.
This involved using relevancy as the primary sort and sub-sorting by
title. But the problem here is that scores of 0.98374 wouldn't be in the
same bucket as a score of 0.98375. Search the mail archive for
"bucket" and you should see that discussion.

> >> Is it *really* better for your users to see a low-relevance query
> >> that happens to have the exact words in it before a very-high
> >> ranking but not quite exact response?
>
> Nopes. Thats the last thing my product manager will want.
>
> Lets take an example to simplify this:
>
> I have fields like title, description, tags. Now when I search for a term
> "Indoor Photography" then I would like the results with exact match in
> title to be
> more important than in description or tags. However, if there is an exact
> match in description
> then it should be given more preference than the partial match in title.
>
> Going by the points mentioned below and as per one of your posts
> (
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/lucene-java-user/200609.mbox/[EMAIL
> PROTECTED]
> )
> I understand that I need to specify query time boosting like this:
>
> title:Indoor Photography^2.5 description:Indoor Photography^1.5 tags:
> Indoor Photography^1.2

That would go some distance towards what you want, but watch the syntax.
You might be better off constructing your own BooleanQuery. The syntax above
would actually parse something like title:Indoor default_field:Photography^
2.5. You
need parentheses. Also think about phrase queries....

Hope this helps
Erick