It works exactly the same as the standard contrib Highlighter except that it tries not to highlight spurious results for a positional query. This is exact with Span queries, but more approximate for phrase queries. The approximation is pretty darn good, but let me know if you find a case that doesn't work. The Highlighter attempts to mimic the PhraseQeury with a SpanQuery.

Marjan Celikik wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
The contrib Highlighter doesn't know and highlights them all.

Check out my patch here for position sensitive highlighting:
OK, before trying it out, I would like to know does the patch work for mixed queries, e.g. "a b" +c -d "f g" ?

Thanks!

Marjan.