Ariel,

Comments inline.

----- Original Message ----
From: Ariel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, January 10, 2008 10:05:28 AM
Subject: Re: Why is lucene so slow indexing in nfs file system ?

In a distributed enviroment the application should make an exhaustive
 use of
the network and there is not another way to access to the documents in
remote repository but accessing in nfs file system.

OG: What about SAN connected over FC for example?

One thing I must clarify: I index the documents in memory, I use
RAMDirectory to do that, then when the RAMDirectory reach the limit(I
 have
put about 10 Mb) then I serialize to disk(nfs) the index to merge it
 with
the central index(the central index is in nfs file system), is that
 correct?

OG: Nah, don't bother with RAMDirectory, just use FSDirectory and it will do
in-memory thing for you.  Make good use of your RAM and use 2.3 which gives you
more control over RAM use during indexing.  Parallelizing indexing over
multiple machines and merging at the end is faster, so that's a good approach.
Also, if your boxes have multiple CPUs write your code so that it has multiple
worker threads that do indexing and feed docs to
IndexWriter.addDocument(Document) to keep the CPUs fully utilized.

OG: Oh, something faster than PDFBox?  There is (can't remember the name now...
itextstream or something like that?), though it may not be free like PDFBox.

Otis

On Jan 10, 2008 8:45 AM, Ariel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Thanks all you for yours answers, I going to change a few things in
 my
> application and make tests.
> One thing I haven't find another good pdfToText converter like pdfBox
 Do
> you know any other faster ?
> Greetings
> Thanks for yours answers
> Ariel
>

> On Jan 9, 2008 11:08 PM, Otis Gospodnetic
 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
> > Ariel,
> >
> > I believe PDFBox is not the fastest thing and was built more to
 handle
> > all possible PDFs than for speed (just my impression - Ben,
 PDFBox's author
> > might still be on this list and might comment).  Pulling data from
 NFS to