Grant Ingersoll-6 wrote:

> You have two options:
>
> 1. Boost the term on the query side.  The query parser pretty much
> takes exactly the syntax you use.
> 2. Use Payloads along with the BoostingTermQuery.
>
> Search the archives for info on one or both.
>
> -Grant
>
> On Feb 20, 2008, at 11:30 AM, JensBurkhardt wrote:
>

>> Hey,
>>
>> I'm wondering if you can boost single values and not the whole field.
>> For example:
>> i'm having a field called test with "value1 value2 value3" - all
>> packed in a
>> String - and
>> i want to boost specific values e.g value1^0.5 value2^1.5 etc.
>> The problem is that i can't seperate this field. I don't think this
>> will
>> work but maybe someone has had the
>> same problem.
>> Trying to search took me nowhere :-) so i decided to just ask and
>> maybe i'm
>> lucky.
>>
>> Greetings
>> Jens
>> --
>>

> --------------------------
> Grant Ingersoll
> http://lucene.grantingersoll.com
> http://www.lucenebootcamp.com
>
> Lucene Helpful Hints:

Hello again,

Thanks for your immediate response. As i understand, the only way to boost
the values is on query side, right?
The Problem is, that i need to boost field values. Okay, some more details:
I need it for a library. The string in the field i'm working with is
something like "Title author year_of_publication some_catchwords" and so on.
It's like on big String.
This field is called "Free-Text" so the query can something like "author AND
title".
And that's the point, the order of the search terms is arbitrary so i don't
know what i do boost in the field. If i want to boost the title i need to
boost the specific value in the Free-Text field.
If I'm wrong and i can handle this problem with using payload, could someone
please explain it cause i don't understand how to use payload on index side.

Best regards
Jens