On Feb 21, 2008, at 6:53 AM, JensBurkhardt wrote:

Hello again,

Thanks for your immediate response. As i understand, the only way to boost
the values is on query side, right?
The Problem is, that i need to boost field values. Okay, some more details:
I need it for a library. The string in the field i'm working with is
something like "Title author year_of_publication some_catchwords" and so on.
It's like on big String.
This field is called "Free-Text" so the query can something like "author AND
title".
And that's the point, the order of the search terms is arbitrary so i don't know what i do boost in the field. If i want to boost the title i need to
boost the specific value in the Free-Text field.
If I'm wrong and i can handle this problem with using payload, could someone please explain it cause i don't understand how to use payload on index side.

I would split the string (either ahead of time or by writing your own TeeTokenFilter and SinkTokenizer) such that you can separate out your one big String into two smaller fields. Other option, is to use payloads

Token.setPayload() is how you set payloads. There are a couple examples in 2.3 in the contrib/analysis package of how to add payloads for specific things, you would just need your own that recognized your structure.

Also have a look at Michael B's excellent ApacheCon slides:
http://people.apache.org/~buschmi/apachecon/AdvancedIndexingLuceneAtlanta07.ppt