: By custom phrase query class I was trying to ask if it would be possible, or
: even a good idea, to create a modified PhraseQuery class that is more
: efficient that span queries (as I only want to use it for phrases). This
: class might have multiple possible terms generated from a regex at a certain
: position.

Ah! ... sorry, i missunderstood.  the answer to the questions are: yes it
is possible and yes it is a good idea if you don't need the full power of
Spans.

The answerto the question you didn't ask is: yes such a thing exists ...
take a look at MultiPhraseQuery.  :)

QueryParser uses it when getFieldQuery returns multiple terms with a
position gap of "0" ... which is perfect for things like synonys.

you could have your own custom RegexPhraseQuery that can contain
RegexQueries and TermQueries (instead of just Terms) and then rewrite to a
MultiPhraseQuery once you rewrite the RegexQueries to a TermQueries.

...or something like that.

:
: