From: Paul Elschot [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, April 08, 2008 12:57 AM
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Subject: Re: Why Lucene has to rewrite queries prior to actual searching?

Itamar,

Query rewrite replaces wildcards with terms available from the index.
Usually that involves replacing a wildcard with a BooleanQuery that is an
effective OR over the available terms while using a flat coordination
factor, i.e. it does not matter how many of the available terms actually
match a document, as long as at least one matches.

For the required query parts (AND like), Scorer.skipTo() is used, and that
could well be the filter mechanism you are referring to; have a look at the
javadocs of Scorer, and, if necessary, at the actual code of
ConjunctionScorer.

Regards,
Paul Elschot