Op Tuesday 08 April 2008 15:18:34 schreef Itamar Syn-Hershko:
> Paul,
>
> I don't see how this answers the question.

Towards the end, the page describes when a Scorer is called and
roughly what it does.

> I was asking why Lucene
> has to access the index with exact terms, and not use RegEx or
> simpler wildcards support internally? If Lucene will be able to look
> for "w?rd" or "wor*" and treat the wildcards as wildcards, this will
> greatly improve speed of searches and will eliminate the need for
> Query rewriting.

When it is known in advance that "w?rd" and "wor*" will be used
in queries a lot, one can write a tokenizer that indexes them so
that they can be searched directly.
The problem is to know that in advance, that is at indexing time.

> Since some people may want to index chars like those used in
> wildcards, they could be escaped (or, those people will use the
> standard search classes available today instead). I'm not entirely
> sure what part of Lucene does the actual access to the terms and
> position vectors, but if it could be sub-classed or cloned, and then
> modified to honor wildcards or even RegEx, that would bring Lucene to
> new heights.

There are regular expression queries in the regex contrib module,
however these work by rewriting to actually indexed terms.

> Unless, again, there is a specific reason why this can't
> be done.

There is no specific reason why it cannot be done, one only needs
to provide the corresponding tokenizer to be used at indexing time.

Kind regards,
Paul Elschot