That's right - most of them are about distributed searching (hence my notes
about sharding being up to the app).  Hadoop's contrib/index is about dist
indexing:

"This contrib package provides a utility to build or update an index
using Map/Reduce.

A distributed "index" is partitioned into "shards". Each shard corresponds
to a Lucene instance."

Otis