Thanks Erick.
You might be joking, but one of our clients indeed had all his servers
destroyed in a flood. Of course in this rare case, a solution would be to
keep the backup on another site.

However I'm still confused about normal scenarios:

Let's say that in the middle of the batch I got an exception and wan't to
rollback. Can I do this ?
I want to make sure that after a batch finishes (and only then), it is
written to disk (and not find out after a while during a commit that
something went wrong).Do I have to close the writer or Flush is enough? I
though about raising mergeFactor and other parameters to high values (or
disabling them) so an automatic merge/commit will not happen, and then I can
manually decide when to commit the changes - the size of the batches is not
constant so I can't determine in advance.
I don't mind hurting the index performance a bit by doing this manually, but
I can't efford to let the client think that the information is secured in
the index and than to find out that it's not.

My index size contains a few million docs and it's size can reach about 30G
(we're saving a lot of fields and information for each document). Having a
backup index is an option I considered but I wanted to avoid the overhead of
keeping them synchronized (they might not be on the same server which
exposes a lot of new problems like network issues).

Thanks.