>>I have no clue how large the impact could be

I did do some benchmarking of a scoring scheme based on local idf vs one with
visibility of a global idf.
Using randomized allocation of documents to shards and sufficient volumes of
content in each index, the local idf policy produced identical top results to
the global idf policy for the vast majority of searches.

Cheers
Mark