Hi

I feel like we are having to tip toe across JRE bugs to get this to work right. I am definitely not pointing fingers, since the issues and their resolutions are complex but I would appreciate some insight on the most reliable combination of JRE 6 and Lucene. I cannot downgrade the JRE to 5 as my code is deeply dependent on Java 1.6. Right now, I'm thinking about updating the JRE to 6 update 7 and using the latest nightly Lucene snapshot available here:

http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository/org/apache/lucene/lucene-core/2.3-SNAPSHOT/lucene-core-2.3-SNAPSHOT.jar

Is this a good strategy?

Jamie

Jamie wrote:
Hi All,

I found something interesting....

Could this error be the result of the bad file descriptor close bug as described in http://256.com/gray/docs/misc/java_bad_file_descriptor_close_bug.shtml.

This would definitely fit the description since this happened on JRE 1.6u3.... apparently, update 3 suffered from this file descriptor issue. The fix
is to update the JRE to the latest version (which I believe is update 7).

Michael, what does one need to do to overcome the other JRE 1.6 bug? Are we still waiting for a JRE update from Sun to address it?
Is there a workaround that we can use in the meantime?

Thanks

Jamie