I think the answer is it can be done and probably quite well. I also think it's informative that Nutch does not use Lucene for this function, as I understand it, but that shouldn't stop you either. You might also have a look at Apache Jackrabbit, which uses Lucene underneath as a content repository.

-Grant

On Jul 29, 2008, at 5:34 AM, Ganesh - yahoo wrote:

Hello all,

I am also interested in this. I want to archive the content of the document using Lucene.

Is it a good idea to use Lucene as storage engine?

Regards
Ganesh

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ian Lea" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <java-user@lucene.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: Using lucene as a database... good idea or bad idea?

John

I think it's a great idea, and do exactly this to store 5 million+
documents with info that it takes way too long to get out of our
Oracle database (think days).  Not as many docs as you are talking
about, and less data for each doc, but I wouldn't have any concerns
about scaling.  There are certainly lucene indexes out there bigger
than what you propose.  You can compress the stored data to save some
space.  Run times for optimization might get interesting but see
recent threads for suggestions on that.  And since you are not too
concerned about performance you may not need to optimize much, or even
at all.

Of course you need to remember that this is not a DBMS solution in the
sense of transactions, recovery, etc. but I'm sure you are already
aware of that.

--
Ian.