>     Following the history of Payloads from its beginnings
> (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-755,
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-761,
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/LUCENE-834,
> http://wiki.apache.org/lucene-java/Payload_Planning) it looks like
> TermPostionsVector was never considered as part of the Payload
> functionality.  I think this is based on the underlying index file
> structure???  I don't see any way to get at a Payload other than through
> a TermPositions object.  I don't think there is a way to translate code
> which uses TermPositions to using TermPositionVector with regards to
> payloads  -- but I welcome someone to show me how they could.

Very interesting, and it fills in a few missing bits.

>     Maybe there is some other work around.  What are you trying to
> accomplish "historically" with TermPositionsVectors instead of
> TermPositions?

Historically we've not been able to access the TermPositions object
because it seemed to require that the original text was stored and not
just indexed (although I can't see why) Perhaps I am mistaken?

We're not storing the text context because a) there is rather a lot of
it, b) we have the text files stored on special storage boxes mounted to
the webservers and they're using directly and c) It didn't seem worth
it.

Thoughts? So can I use the TermPositions object without the stored text?

Best Regards, Martin Owens