Yes, I think you pinpointed what I see over and over with Solr.  The two
desires pull in opposite directions.  I think Jason Rutherglen is very keen to
start talking about Lucene clusters and index replication in such clusters
without using the classic master/slave approach.

Jason, want to start a thread on java-dev?

Otis