I don't know how much of this is a Lucene problem, but -- as I'm sure you will inevitably hear from others on the list -- it depends on what your definition of "similar" is.

By similar, do you mean:
1.  Identical, except for variations in case (upper/lower)
2. Allow 1., but also allow prefixes/suffixes (e.g., "FW: " or "... (summary")
3.  Allow 1., 2. and permit some new terms ... how many?
4. Allow all of the above and allow some changes to terms using stemming (E.g., "Google releases Chrome" is similar to "Google announces the release of its new Chrome web browser")

I'm sure you see where this is going.  So ... how do you define similar?

Good luck!

-h
Hira, N.R.
Cognocys, Inc.