From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thu, September 4, 2008 1:20
Subject:Re: Similarity percentage between two Strings

Googling for "java string similarity" throws up some stuff you might
find useful.

--
Ian.

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 11:58 PM, Thiago Moreira <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

    Well, the similar definition that I'm looking for is the number 2,
maybe
the number 3, but to start the number 2 is enough. If you guys think
that is
not a Lucene problem what else tool can I use to implement this
requirement??

    Thanks
________________________________
Thiago Moreira
Software Engineer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Liferay, Inc.
Enterprise. Open Source. For Life.

N. Hira wrote:

I don't know how much of this is a Lucene problem, but -- as I'm sure you
will inevitably hear from others on the list -- it depends on what your
definition of "similar" is.

By similar, do you mean:
1.  Identical, except for variations in case (upper/lower)
2.  Allow 1., but also allow prefixes/suffixes (e.g., "FW:  " or "...
(summary")
3.  Allow 1., 2. and permit some new terms ... how many?
4.  Allow all of the above and allow some changes to terms using stemming
(E.g., "Google releases Chrome" is similar to "Google announces the release
of its new Chrome web browser")

I'm sure you see where this is going.  So ... how do you define similar?

Good luck!

-h
Hira, N.R.
Cognocys, Inc.