Hi Erick,

Thanks for the response, sorry that I was somewhat vague in the reasoning
for my implementation in the first post.  I should have mentioned that the
word details are not details of the Lucene document, but are attributes
about the word that I am storing.  Some examples are position on the actual
page, color, size, bold/italic/underlined, and most importantly, the text as
it appeared on the page.  The reason the last one matters is that things
like punctuation, spacing and capitalization can vary between the result and
the search term, and can affect how I need to process the results
afterwords.  I am certainly open to the idea of a new approach if it would
improve on things, I admit I am new to Lucene so if there are options I'm
unaware of I'd love to learn about them.

Just to sum it up with an example, let's say we have a page of text that
stores "This is a page of text."  We want to search for the text "of text",
which would span multiple words in the word index.  The final result would
need to contain "of" and "text", along with the details about each as
described before.  I hope this is more helpful!

- Greg