Hi all,

I'm working on upgrading to Lucene 2.4.0 from 2.3.2 and was trying to
integrate the new DodIdSet changes since o.a.l.search.Filter#bits() method
is now depreciated. For our app we actually heavily rely on bits from the
Filter to do post-query filtering (I explain why below).

For example, if someone searches for product: "ipod" and then filters a
type: "nano" (e.g. mini/nano/regular) AND color: "red" (e.g.
red/yellow/blue). In our current model the results are gathered in the
following way:

1) "ipod" w/o attributes is run and the results are stored in a hitcollector
2) "ipod" results are now filtered for color="red" AND type="mini" using the
lucene Filters
3) The filtered results are returned to the user.

The reason that the attributes are filtered post-query is so that we can
return the other types and colors the user can filter by in the future.
Meaning the UI would be able to show "blue", "green", "pink", etc... if we
pre-filtered results by color and type before hand we wouldn't know what the
other filter options would be there for a broader result set.

Does anyone else have this use case? I'd imagine other folks are probably
doing similar things to accomplish this.