Well, I have seen this link many times before. It doesn't really explain the data structures part of it. Perhaps I should have asked my question this way: "What data structures are being used by Lucene to read the posting lists from the index ?" . My guess is that a hash table is being used for reading the postings of each term, with the key being the term and the hash value being a multi level skip list.
Please correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Prafulla

Grant Ingersoll wrote: