I question whether you *can* make this decision based upon the data
structure being used. I can code such that *any* data structure you care
to name will not perform well under some conditions <G>.

Not to mention the other characteristics of a search engine that get in
the way of even the very most efficient structure.

The only way I have ever gained confidence is to create a representative
dataset and measure. Which also has its perils, but....

Although I'll gladly admit that no amount of clever programming can
make up for a fundamentally flawed architecture.

But there are some pretty bright people coding all this up. You might get
more comfortable by looking at some of the success stories on the website.

But in the end, it's a "best guess" kind of thing. Perhaps you could explain
what you plan to do and folks with more experience than me might be able
to offer insights...

Best
Erick