From: Murat Yakici <murat.yak...@cis.strath.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Testing Precision and Recall on Lucene
To: java-user@lucene.apache.org
Date: Thursday, 15 January, 2009, 12:17 PM

Let's please don't forget the scoring function. Yes, *query* is
important,
however, everyone in IR knows that two different scoring functions may
return two different sets of results for the same query!

David, I think you have to be more explicit here. What exactly are you
trying to do? Are you gonna benchmark Lucene's performance between similar
queries (as Donna suggests) or between different frameworks. To use
metrics like precision and recall you need to do a test on the same
collection as well.

Murat

> I don't think this question makes a whole lot of sense in isolation--
> precision and recall is all about the *query* and that is the art of the
> developer; what is the appropriate query for your particular application.
> Lucene does just great telling you which documents had which terms and
> which term combinations, and does a very good job of scoring them and
> ranking them once you give a query. But *you* have to decide what the
> appropriate query is for your application. The simplest approach, and
> perhaps what you are looking for, is the MoreLikeThis query generator,
> which uses (pretty good) heuristics for telling you which documents are
> "like" a given document, but I don't know if that's the
direction you are
> looking for.
>

> david muchangi <davemugo2...@yahoo.co.uk> wrote on 01/14/2009
02:00:33 PM:

>> Dear All,
>> I wish to have a quick test on how lucene performs in terms of
>> precision and recall.Anyone with a small application that I can use
>> quickly without having to program using the APIs?
>> Thanks.
>> David

Murat Yakici
Department of Computer & Information Sciences
University of Strathclyde
Glasgow, UK